[R] Mirror/Package problems in R 2.8.0

M-J Milloy mjsmilloy at me.com
Wed Oct 22 18:56:57 CEST 2008

Hello all,

I've searched the lists and the web and not found an obvious answer to
this; my apologies if I'm overlooking something.

I've used 2.6.x for awhile; this morning, after installing 2.8.0 on my
Mac OS X 10.5.5 machine, neither install.packages nor the "Packages &
Data/Package Installer" work and all of my previous packages (which
had been installed "At System Level" using the GUI-driven process)
were gone. Attempts to "Get List" through the GUI process fail with

Warning: unable to access index for repository http://cran.fhcrc.org/bin/macosx//contrib/2.8

I've have tried multiple mirrors. I believe the problem is that the
mirror filestructure is different than what R expects. However, even
if I fool the GUI process (by using the "Other directory URL" option),
installing a package still fails.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

M-J