[R] odfWeave error

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Thu Oct 23 22:41:12 CEST 2008

Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 10/23/2008 3:32 PM, Rob James wrote:
>> odfWeave is throwing up a cryptic error, after successfully processing
>> a file with a large number of figures (~30) and many \Sexpr{} calls.
>> The error is (at least to me) cryptic. I am not sure where to look to
>> correct this problem.
>>
>> Here's the error:
>>

>> Post-processing the contents
>> Error in .Call("RS_XML_Parse", file, handlers, endElementHandlers,
>> as.logical(addContext),  :
>>   attempt to apply non-function
>
> That's a relatively difficult error to get:  I think you usually need to
> be messing around with expressions to see it.  You can also get it in
> simpler ways with nonsensical expressions, like
>
>  > 1(1)
> Error: attempt to apply non-function
>
> I'd say you'll need to do a traceback() to find out where this is coming
> from.  It's probably also worthwhile to track down those warnings() that
> you were told about.

The most likely cause is that one of the elements of the
handlers object is not a function.
The XML parser expects each element that will be called
when a corresponding node is encountered in the XML content
to be a function.

I'd take a look at the value of handlers and see which
of them is not a function and where the list is being
constructed.

(Other)  Duncan