[R] optim bug/help?

Ravi Varadhan RVaradhan at jhmi.edu
Thu Oct 23 22:55:54 CEST 2008

Hi Kevin,

There is no substitute to knowing your problem as well as you possibly can
(I know this can be challenging in complicated, real problems).  If you plot
the contours of the function, you will see that they are banana shaped
around the solution, i.e. the objective function is not very sensitive to
changes along the "length" of the banana, but changes rapidly along the
perpendicular direction.  A concise way of saying all this is to say that
the problem is ill-conditioned.  A consequence of such ill-conditioning is
that the numerical solution becomes highly sensitive to perturbations in
"data", where the term "data" includes all the parameters (related to both
the function and the numerical algorithm) that are required to solve the
problem.  The step-size for computing finite-difference approximation of
gradient is a datum that has a significant impact on the solution, as Ben
had pointed out, because of this ill-conditioning.  Starting value is
another crucial piece of data, as Patrick had pointed out.

In the Rosenbrock example, the problem is due to the scaling factor "100" in
the Rosenbrock function.  Increase this, and the problem becomes more
severe.

One way to get a sense of the degree of ill-conditioning is to look at the
ratio of the largest to smallest eigen value of the inverse of the Hessian
matrix.

 ans <- optim(c(-1,1), fr, grr, method = "BFGS", hessian=TRUE)
 eigen( solve(ans$hess) )$val

Hope this is helpful,
Ravi.

-------

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, The Center on Aging and Health

Johns Hopkins University

Ph: (410) 502-2619

Fax: (410) 614-9625

Email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu