[R] Transferring results from R to MS Word

Tom Backer Johnsen backer at psych.uib.no
Fri Oct 24 21:30:30 CEST 2008

R-users

At the moment I am teaching a course on the use of R for data analysis.
  Part of course requirements involves the transfer of results from R to
something that resembles the APA (American Psychological Associations)
type tables to MS Word.  Until now I have used the HTML function in the
R2HTML library, with a call like this:

HTML(summary(model1), file("clipboard", "w"), digits=4)

Where "model1" is an object containing results from a linear model
(function lm ()).  I have to add that I do not remember where I got the
digits argument from.  The main point is that the output is transferred
to Excel as the first step where the output can be deleted and shuffled
in order to produce a correctly formatted table according to APA
standards which then is transferred to MS Word with a copy and paste
operation.

The problem is simply that what is tranferred to Excel varies with what
you throw at the HTML function.  Nothing is rounded of with an lm()
model.  With a function like sd () I seem to consistently get 2 decimal
points transferred, less than what I want, while there are variations in
respect to the number of decimals when I transfer the result on the
summary () using a frame as the argument.

The optimal thing for me (and the students) would be to consistently
have all the decimals tranferred to Excel, any rounding to could be done
there before the transfer of the table to MS Word.  Alternatively, that
something like the argument digits=x works in a consistent manner with
at least most objects.

So:

What do I tell my students on what to do using R2HTML in order to obtain
consistent results?

Alternativly: are there other alternatives I and my students could use
for the transfer of results from R via Excel to MS Word?

I really would appreciate some suggestions.

Tom