[R] Rgui.exe - Application Error

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sat Oct 25 01:01:42 CEST 2008

On 24/10/2008 7:52 AM, Rita. A wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I get the following error when i run the following script in Rgui
>
> Rgui.exe - Application Error
>
> The instruction at "0x7c9109f9" referenced memory at "0xffffffff". The
> memory could not be "read"
> Click on OK to terminate the program
>
> The script is
>
> library(RODBC)
> channel <- odbcConnect("curve", uid="curve", pwd="curve")
> elastic <- sqlFetch(channel,"elasticband")
> attach(elastic)
> png(filename="e:/R/cf.png")
> plot(spline(distance~stretch),type="l",xlab="Stretch",ylab="Distance")
> odbcClose(channel)
>
> I use R version 2.7.2 and using RODBC to fetch data from Oracle 10g, I would
> appreciate any help

This is unlikely to be easy to fix.  It depends on R, the RODBC code,
the ODBC driver for Oracle, and Oracle itself.  There are 3 or 4
separate authors involved who will all blame the others.

I'll be first: it's probably not R.  And since Brian Ripley is away now,
I'll cover for him too:  it's probably not RODBC.

So you should contact Oracle tech support for their denials.

Seriously, debugging this requires resources which probably only Oracle
has, but which Oracle probably won't devote to the problem.  So if you
don't get satisfaction from them I'd suggest dumping the database and
reloading it in some other database.  Hopefully a free/open source one.

Duncan Murdoch