[R] Methods for showing statistics over space

Werner Wernersen pensterfuzzer at yahoo.de
Sat Oct 25 14:04:59 CEST 2008

Hi,

I have a question which is a little off-topic but then again, it should stay in the boundaries of what can be done with available R functions.

Has anyone pointers to tutorials or the like where one can get inspiration on how to visualize some "spatial" statistics?
I want to analyze different statistics of 60 counties in a country. I have a shape file for those counties thus I can produce a map. But what are good ways to make statistics, e.g. price levels, clear and so that the viewer also can make good relative comparisons of counties lying far apart? It should enable a clear, quick assessment of the spatial dispersion of the measure. One further restriction is, that the outcome has to be black-and-white printable.

The options I have found considered so far are:
- different gray scale colorings of the countries: very crude and gray scale might be also difficult in printing
- small bar plots within each county: difficult to compare for counties far apart or one has to consider an exact scale
- bubbles with differing sizes: not very intuitive

If anybody has a pointer from the top of his head, that would be wonderful!

Thanks a million and have a good weekend,
  Werner