[R] Upgrade

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 23:28:21 CET 2008

You don't have to uninstall R 2.7.2. I usually keep a few past versions of
R in case I need to go backward.  There are two batchfiles at

http://batchfiles.googlecode.com

called movedir.bat and copydir.bat  .  They are self contained so you
only have to put whichever you intend to use anywhere in your path.
After installing R 2.8 using the automated installer check that

C:\Users\JoeDoe\Documents\R\win-library\2.8

was created and then

cd to the win-library folder, i.e. to C:\Users\JoeDoe\Documents\R\win-library
and then just issue this command:

   movedir 2.7 2.8

or this command:

   copydir 2.7 2.8

The first alternative, movedir, will move the packages from your 2.7
library to your 2.8 library
(so they won't be in your 2.7 any more) and is very fast -- the whole thing
only takes a few seconds.  Its the one I usually use.
The second alternative, copydir, will put a copy in 2.8 leaving the
2.7 one there but
is much slower since it has to copy all the packages over.  Neither
will overwrite
any packages it finds in the 2.8 folder.

Once you do that just go back into R 2.8 and do Packages | Update

On the batchfiles home page there are also links to other alternatives
that various people have proposed for upgrading.