[R] behavior of "by"

Jeff Laake Jeff.Laake at noaa.gov
Wed Oct 29 04:27:06 CET 2008

Thanks to those that replied.  It was reproducible on my system but it
was nested within other code which would have been obvious had I left
the browse> portions in it.  The reason for the behavior was obvious
when I used str(samples).  Even though Effort looked like a vector in
samples, it was actually an array [,1:10] which was created from a
tapply.  I was unaware that a dataframe could contain an array.  Learned
something new. Next time I'll make sure my reproducible code is not
nested.  Interesting difference between tapply and by behavior in that case.