[R] substring/strsplit question

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 00:44:54 CET 2008

Assuming that by elements you mean characters ("2E" is the first
element of x but "E" is the last character in x[1]) then this will
create a character matrix of dimensions: length(x) by 2
such that each row corresponds to one component of x
and the second column in that row holds its last character
while the first column in that row holds a string of the prior
characters.

> x <- c("2E","5W","12H")
> library(gsubfn)

> strapply(x, "(.+)(.)$", c, simplify = rbind)
     [,1] [,2]
[3,] "12" "H"

The above assumes the latest version of gsubfn
on CRAN.