[R] set the language

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 31 17:37:07 CET 2008

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008, Gustave Lefou wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to change my R language from German to French or English.

On Windows, we presume.

> I have read messages in the archives and also R Installation and
> Administration paragraph 7.2 but I did not get it all.
> I have to set LANGUAGE=en (what would it be for French, "fr" ?), but I don't
> know where.

Well, the rw-FAQ does tell you where:

   1. On the command line as name=value pairs.  For example in the
      shortcut to `Rgui' you could have

           "path_to_R\bin\Rgui.exe" HOME=p:/ R_LIBS=p:/myRlib

so in your shortcut use LANGUAGE=fr .  (That's the ISO 639 abbreviation
for French, and the manual does tell you that is what to use! Google very
rapidly produces http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_639-1 as a list.)

That's the best place as it sets the language only for R.