[R] R-WinEdt unexcpected Asian characters

Saskia Sandring saskia.sandring at ebc.uu.se
Fri Oct 31 18:04:08 CET 2008

Dear list!
I have encountered an odd problem with R-WinEdt.

The program is mostly running fine and I had no problems with the installation.
But several times a day I'm typing in R-WinEdt there appears a menu with
Chinese characters where the curser is and I'm not able to type normally. I
don’t know any other way to stop it except restarting R-WinEdt. After that it
works normally for a while until it happens again. I was not able to figure out
when it happens. Sometimes after error messages in R, but not always and I am
never aware of having typed a certain key combination or anything like that.

Is there anything I can change in the settings to prevent this from happening?

I'm using R 2.8.0. and WinEdt 5.5. in Windows XP. My regional options in
Windows
are set to "Sweden" and "Swedish".

With earlier versions of R and WinEdt I did not have this problem. However, this
is a different computer.

Thank you for your help!
Saskia