[R] Avoiding factors and levels in data frames

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Mon Sep 1 11:45:27 CEST 2008

Dear Ted,

I noticed that as.is was set by default in read.fwf. So if the user sets
stringsAsFactor it is passed through ... to read.table. But I'm not sure
how as.is is passed to read.table when onlye stringsAsFactors is set. If
it's the default (FALSE) then it might be conflicting with
stringsAsFactor. Therefore my suggestion to use as.is instead of
stringsAsFactor in this case.

I suppose it might be a good idea to add stringsAsFactor to the
argumentlist of read.fwf and give it the same defaults as read.table.

Cheers,

Thierry

----
ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature
and Forest
Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg / Section biometrics,
methodology and quality assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium
tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx op inbo.be
www.inbo.be

than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to
say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of
data.
~ John Tukey