[R] give all combinations

Adaikalavan Ramasamy a.ramasamy at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Sep 2 15:31:37 CEST 2008

Yuan Jian, sending 9 emails within the span of few seconds all with
similar text is very confusing to say the least!

Carl, look up combinations() and permutations() in the gtools package.

For two case scenario, you can use combinations()

    v <- c("a","b","c")

    library(gtools)
    tmp <- combinations(3, 2, v,repeats=TRUE)
    apply( tmp, 1, paste, collapse="" )
    [1] "aa" "ab" "ac" "bb" "bc" "cc"

For more than two cases, I don't know of an elegant way except to
generate all possible permutations and then eliminate those with the
same ingredients. This function will be slow for large numbers!

    multiple.combinations <- function( vec, times ){

       input <- vector( mode="list", times )
       for(i in 1:times) input[[i]] <- vec

       out <- expand.grid( input )
       out <- apply( out, 1, function(x) paste( sort(x), collapse="" ) )
       unique.out <- unique(out)
       return(unique.out)
    }

   multiple.combinations( v, 3 )
   [1] "aaa" "aab" "aac" "abb" "abc" "acc" "bbb" "bbc" "bcc" "ccc"

   multiple.combinations( v, 6 )
   "aaaaaa" "aaaaab" "aaaaac" "aaaabb" "aaaabc" "aaaacc" "aaabbb"
   "aaabbc" "aaabcc" "aaaccc" "aabbbb" "aabbbc" "aabbcc" "aabccc"
   "aacccc" "abbbbb" "abbbbc" "abbbcc" "abbccc" "abcccc" "accccc"
   "bbbbbb" "bbbbbc" "bbbbcc" "bbbccc" "bbcccc" "bccccc" "cccccc"

Regards, Adai