[R] multinomial estimation output stat question - not R question

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Tue Sep 2 19:55:19 CEST 2008

Mark,

There are a couple of possible things that could be going on here:

In regular ANOVA cases you can have a situation where you have 3 groups, A, B, and C where A and C are significantly different from each other, but B lies between them in such a way that we cannot say that B is significantly different from A or C (variation is large enough that the mean of B could equal that of A or C).  Clearly B cannot equal both A and C if C and A are not the same, it is just a matter of lack of evidence.  B could be the same as A, or it could be the same as C, or it could be something different from either.

So in your case it could be that there is evidence to show a significant difference between positive and negative, but not enough to show how neutral compares to them.

You could try refitting your model with a different baseline to see if there is a significant difference between the new baseline and one of the other levels of the factor.

Another possibility is that in some cases of logistic regressions (and that could easily carry over to multinomial regressions) you get a large coefficient that is very meaningful, but due to the flattness of the likelihood in that region, the wald test overestimates the variance by quite a bit and results in non-significant conclusions.  Look at the size of the coefficient and the size of the standard error estimate, if both are large, then this could be the case and you should ignore the wald test and look more at other types of tests.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center