[R] boxplot - label outliers

S Ellison S.Ellison at lgc.co.uk
Wed Sep 3 12:00:02 CEST 2008

Sherri;

The boxplot stats include outlier values in $out and their group number
in $group.

Let me assume that you want to put the boxes at integer positions on
the x-axis (the default is the same). The we have

y<-rnorm(60)
g<-gl(3,20)
labels=paste("Value", 1:length(y))
bx<-boxplot(y~g)

bx.at<-1:3
bx<-boxplot(y~g, at=bx.at)

for(i in unique(bx$group)) {
	text(bx.at[i], m<-max(bx$out[bx$group==i]), labels[which(y==m)],
pos=4)
}
#We could possibly use tapply to label the outliers by group, but this
for loop labels the maximum outlier.
#This toy version will do that if the outliers are below the box too,
which is silly,
#so you'll need to finagle it a bit to get the 'outermost' outlier
labelled.

>>> Sherri Heck <sheck at ucar.edu> 02/09/2008 22:37 >>>
Hi All-

I have 24 boxplots on one graph.  I do not have the whiskers extending

to the outliers, but I would like to label the maximum value of each
outlier above the whiskers.  I have the stats but am having trouble
figuring out how to label the whiskers.

Any suggestions would be great!

sherri