[R] upgraded maps database for italy?

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Fri Sep 5 20:45:43 CEST 2008

If I remember correctly, the maps package only has a few dedicated maps that works with it.  The maptools package has similar (but not exactly the same) functionality and can work with shapefiles that are more commonly available.  Maptools also integrates nicely with the sp and related packages that give many more options for working with the maps.

For the 2nd question, I would suggest plotting the map first using the province, then plot a second map over the top using the information on the regioni using a different color/line thickness for the boarders and no fill (so that the province show through).  This requires having 2 different map files, one with province and one with regioni information (there may be a better way with overlaying information, but this method works without having to think about it too much).

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center