[R] I don't know how to run a r-code written in emacs

Nicky Chorley nick.chorley at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 23:04:57 CEST 2008

2008/9/6 Luisa <lupasaviz at yahoo.com>:

> Hi,
> I just installed R, I'm  work in UBUNTU and  I don't have idea about how to
> run a r-code written in emacs
> into the shell.
> Well I am in a shell, and obviously I can run simple commands over there,
> Must I  compile the program? if yes, How must I do that?
> what is the extension?

You don't need to compile anything and you can use .R as an extension
for your R scripts (I believe someone else has suggested this already
though). What I usually do to run my scripts, is something like the
following:

R < foo.R,

where foo.R is the name of the script. The man page for R suggests
this usage (admittedly, though, it's perhaps not obvious) and there
are options listed in it that you may want to use.

For what it's worth, it makes no difference which editor you use to
write your code in.

Regards,

Nicky Chorley