[R] Averaging 'blocks' of data

Steve Murray smurray444 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 7 22:46:23 CEST 2008

Gabor - thanks for your suggestion... I had checked the previous post, but I found (as a new user of R) this approach to be too complicated and I had problems gaining the correct output values. If there is a simpler way of doing this, then please feel free to let me know.

Dylan - thanks, your approach is a good start. In answer to your questions, my data are 43200 columns and 16800 rows as a data frame - I will probably have to read the dataset in segments though, as it won't fit into the memory!  I've been able to follow your example - how would I be able to apply this technique for finding the average of each 60 x 60 block?

Any other suggestions are of course welcome!

Many thanks again,

Steve