[R] Test for equality of complicatedly related average correlations

Adam D. I. Kramer adik-rhelp at ilovebacon.org
Tue Sep 9 00:06:59 CEST 2008

Hi Ralph,

My approach provides the same answer by asking a different question.
Effectively, my approach tests whether the difference between timepoints is
larger for X than for Y (and also gives you the main effects of whether X
has a higher mean than Y and whether scores increase or decrease over time,
which may or may not be of interest but as control variables serve the same
purpose as using correlations rather than difference scores).

One objection to this mode of comparing test-retest reliabilities is that
one test may be more variable over time (at the item level) than the other,
but that the overall means don't differ...but the correlational approch you
asked about also suffers from this problem.

--Adam