[R] cluster/snow question

Luke Tierney luke at stat.uiowa.edu
Tue Sep 9 21:11:32 CEST 2008

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, tolga.i.uzuner at jpmorgan.com wrote:

> Hi Markus,
>
> Many thanks. Is the "cluster" variable you mention below available in the
> environment of the nodes ? Specifically, within that environment, how
> could one identify the rank of that specific node ?

No -- that isn't the way snow works.  With snow the partitioning is
done on the master. If you need a node to know how many other nodes
there are or which index it represents in a clusterApply call then you
need to pass that information in the arguments.

luke

> [...]
>> use of the information contained herein (including any reliance
>> thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Although this transmission and any
>> attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect
>> that might affect any computer system into which it is received and
>> opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it
>> is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by JPMorgan Chase &
>> Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as applicable, for any loss
>> or damage arising in any way from its use. If you received this
>> transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and
>> destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
>> copy format. Thank you.
>> Please refer to http://www.jpmorgan.com/pages/disclosures for
>> disclosures relating to UK legal entities.
>>                [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

> --
> Dipl.-Tech. Math. Markus Schmidberger
>
> Ludwig-Maximilians-Universit?? M??chen
> IBE - Institut f?? medizinische Informationsverarbeitung,
> Biometrie und Epidemiologie
> Marchioninistr. 15, D-81377 Muenchen
> Mail: Markus.Schmidberger [at] ibe.med.uni-muenchen.de
> Tel: +49 (089) 7095 - 4599
>

> Generally, this communication is for informational purposes only
> and it is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase
> or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation
> of any transaction. In the event you are receiving the offering
> materials attached below related to your interest in hedge funds or
> private equity, this communication may be intended as an offer or
> solicitation for the purchase or sale of such fund(s).  All market
> prices, data and other information are not warranted as to
> completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice.
> Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect
> those of JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates.

> confidential, legally privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure
> under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you
> are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or
> use of the information contained herein (including any reliance
> thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Although this transmission and any
> attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect
> that might affect any computer system into which it is received and
> opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it
> is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by JPMorgan Chase &
> Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as applicable, for any loss
> or damage arising in any way from its use. If you received this
> transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and
> destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
> copy format. Thank you.
> Please refer to http://www.jpmorgan.com/pages/disclosures for
> disclosures relating to UK legal entities.

Luke Tierney
Chair, Statistics and Actuarial Science
    Actuarial Science
241 Schaeffer Hall                  email:      luke at stat.uiowa.edu