[R] xls to csv conversion via WinXP's context menu?

Erich Neuwirth erich.neuwirth at univie.ac.at
Wed Sep 10 19:40:24 CEST 2008

There are at least 2 more packages which can handle the conversion.

xlsReadWrite (only available on Windows) allows you to read Excel
files directly in R. At the moment xls, but not xlsx and xlsm, AFAIK.

RExcel (available via RExcelInstaller on CRAN)
is an Excel addin which allows you to transfer
data between R and Excel from within Excel.
It works in Excel version 2002, 2003 and 2007,
so it also allows transfer of xlsx and xlsm files.
It does much more, e.g. it also allows you to call
R functions in spreadsheet cell formulas.
More information on rcom.univie.ac.at.

Erich Neuwirth

Footnote:
I am not connected with xlsReadWrite, and I am the author or RExcel.