[R] binomial(link="inverse")

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 11 08:24:03 CEST 2008

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008, Thomas Lumley wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>>
>> As to why the list of links known by name is as it is, that seems history.
>> in part the White Book history of S.  I've always thought it an error that
>> 'log' was a standard link for binomial, as the range does not match the
>> specification of probabilities (and S did not do so, MASS Table 7.1 ).
>
> I think I added binomial("log"): log-binomial regression is quite popular and
> useful in epidemiology (where effect sizes are small enough that keeping away
> from the boundary may be less of a problem than people's inability to
> understand odds ratios).

Yes.  My comment was about being "standard" and so easy to use
unthinkingly.  Where a Poisson approximation to the binomial would be
good, a log link is also going to be appropriate.  Had we then the
infrastructure in place we have now, I would have been suggesting (like
identity) that it be available via an (easy) user extension.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk