[R] csaps in R port from Octave?

Dr Carbon drcarbon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 18:39:13 CEST 2008

Since I'm getting no joy looking for an R implementation of the matlab
function csaps, can anybody advise me on porting csaps from Octave?

There is an octave implementation of csaps here:
http://octave.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/octave/trunk/octave-forge/nonfree/spline-gsvspl/inst/csaps.m

This function calls external C function gcvspl located here:
http://octave.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/octave/trunk/octave-forge/nonfree/spline-gsvspl/src/gcvspl.cc

Any C gurus out there care to opine on how hard this would be to port
to an external C function that R could call. I need to be able to
repeat results from csaps as part of a review and don't have access to
Matlab (or inclination to install and learn Octave).

Or, back to the original query, is there a way to mimic csaps in R? In
particular I need to be able to repeat an analysis with the the same
smoothing parameter (p) from csaps.

Please help!

::DrC