[R] About "Plot.new"

cathelf cathelf at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 12 00:41:17 CEST 2008

Hi, sorry for bothering your guys.
I will trying to make some nice graph using boxplot. when I check the help
file of boxplot, there is a sample code as:

 boxplot(len ~ dose, data = ToothGrowth, add = TRUE,
             boxwex = 0.25, at = 1:3 + 0.2,
             subset = supp == "OJ", col = "orange")
     legend(2, 9, c("Ascorbic acid", "Orange juice"),
            fill = c("yellow", "orange"))

But when I run it, it shows the following error:
Error in xypolygon(xx, yy, lty = "blank", col = boxfill[i]) :
        plot.new has not been called yet

what does it mean? If  I first run "plot.new()", then running the above
code, only the x-axis and y-axis is on the graph, no boxplot inside.

Can anyone tell me how to call  plot.new or at least how to run the above
code correctly?

Thank you very much!