[R] Scatterplot with data grouped by color

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Sep 13 15:36:50 CEST 2008

    JIV> Dear Amanda,
    JIV> Try this:

    JIV> # Data set
    JIV> set.seed(123)
    JIV> DF=data.frame(A=rnorm(10),B=rpois(10,10),C=sample(1:3,10,replace=T))
    JIV> attach(DF)

    JIV> # Plot
    JIV> plot(A,B,pch=16,col=C)
    JIV> legend('topleft',paste('Group',1:3,sep=" "),col=1:3,pch=16)

    JIV> HTH,

Yes, that's a fine small example.

To become flawless (in the eyes of the R-stylepolice :-)),
you'd have to *NOT* attach() the data frame
{= a bad habit from earlier implementations of the S language and R},
but rather either use with(.) , or often (as in this case),
just specify  a 'data= . ' :

 # Data set
 set.seed(123)
 DF <- data.frame(A=rnorm(10),B=rpois(10,10),C=sample(1:3,10,replace=T))

 # Plot
 plot(B ~ A, pch=16, col=C, data = DF)
 legend('topleft',paste('Group',1:3,sep=" "),col=1:3,pch=16)

Regards,
Martin