[R] string functions

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun Sep 14 20:10:53 CEST 2008

On Sep 14, 2008, at 1:53 PM, zubin wrote:

> Hello, trying to locate all the string commands in the base version
> of R, can't seem to find an area that describes them. I am in need
> to do some serious parsing of text data to create my dataset.  Is
> there a summary link to all the character operators?  string
> manipulations that would help in parsing text.

A bit of use of the ? operator on paste and strsplt produces (among
other things:

See Also
String manipulation with as.character, substr, nchar, strsplit;
further, cat which concatenates and writes to a file, and sprintf for
C like string construction.

See Also
paste for the reverse, grep and sub for string search and
manipulation; further nchar, substr.

You might look at the results of:

help.search("string")

help.search("character")