[R] Work with packages without using R CMD build/install

KarstenW K.Weinert at gmx.net
Tue Sep 16 14:12:32 CEST 2008

Hello,

for my small project I would like to organize the data, functions and
documentation as a package.

I have already created a skeleton directory structure with DESCRIPTION file
and put some files in the R, man and data subdirectories.

Now I would like to work on the package without calling R CMD build/install
after each change. In fact, I do not have the build tools installed yet (I
am on Windows) and hope to get along without them (using r-forge).
Currently, I do not plan to use C or Fortran extensions.

But when I run in the R (2.7.2) console

> library(mypkg, lib.loc="mypath")

the system answers that there is no package named 'mypkg'.

Is it possible to use the package infrastructure without calling R CMD ...
after each change?

Kind regards,
Karsten Weinert.