[R] unix-type commandline keystrokes in the windows RGUI

mfrumin michael at frumin.net
Wed Sep 17 18:49:36 CEST 2008

Adaikalavan, thanks.

Perhaps I was not so specific enough in what I want, for those not so
familiar with unix commandline featuers.  I'm looking for the 'reverse
search' functionality where you hit CTRL-R, then start typing a bit of text
and it finds previous commands with that bit of text, which you just hit
enter to execute.

I already do write tons of code/scripts in R (using Emacs in fact!).  But
one of the great features of R/SPSS/Matlab/etc is that they are interactive
environments.  Thus, I spend lots of time issuing commands as well as
writing code.  I want to be able to search back through those commands as
rapidly and efficiently as you can in the unix (and R unix) commandline.

Another way to think about this is -- the unix commandline environment is a
scripting environment where you can use emacs.  Yet users of unix love the
CTRL-R functionality anyway (they wrote it!).

So, any suggestions to help do what I specifically asked, or should I go
bother the R developers?

thanks,
Mike