[R] Loop on vector name

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Thu Sep 18 00:14:22 CEST 2008

Others have answered the question that you asked (it is also a variation of Faq 7.21), but here is an answer to the question that you should have asked:

When working with datasets like this, it is better to create a list rather than separate objects with names like dat1, dat2, etc.

For example:

> mydat <- list(dat1=rnorm(10), dat2=rnorm(25), dat3=runif(100))

Now your loop can be:

> for(i in 1:3) cat( sd( mydat[[i]] ) )

Or even simpler:

> sapply( mydat, sd )

And when you are through with the data, you only need to delete one object, or copy one object, or save one object, etc.

Hope this helps,