[R] Fatal error .RData

Green, Paul pgreen at umich.edu
Thu Sep 18 15:41:07 CEST 2008

We are using R in our class. One student claims to
be receiving the message

"Fatal error: unable to restore saved data in .RData"

The student is working in a Windows environment with Vista
using the precompiled binary distribution (R-2.7.2).

After searching the R site and reading FAQs, I suggested
the student find .RData in the working directory and delete it.

The student claims this did not work so I recommended starting
R from a command line with the --no-restore option.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Does anyone know
what may be causing this? This is the first time I have
encountered this.

Paul Green