[R] Suggestion: Re: Fatal error .RData

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 18 18:13:26 CEST 2008

Hi.

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 8:16 AM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote:
> On 18/09/2008 10:55 AM, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
>>
>> R-core, may I suggest that the error message returns the absolute path
>> (or even the relative path) and not just the filename/basename, e.g.
>>
>> "Fatal error: unable to restore saved data in C:/Users/foo/.RData"
>
> That's a good suggestion, but unfortunately not quite trivial:  the code
> that prints that message has no idea what the full filename is.  On Unix, R
> just tries to open ".Rdata" without ever expanding the name, and on Windows,
> the full name is stored in a place that this code can't see.
>
> So it's not impossible to fix this, but it would take some rearrangement of
> things.  I'm busy on other things so I'm not going to volunteer to do it.

Curious:  I'm not sure I get it (and I'm sure the code has the
answer), but to open any file (on a file system) there must be a
filename.  I understand the case when you open a connection and then
pass the connection to another function where the a error occur, but
here it seems to know that the name is '.RData', or is that just
hardwired in the error message?  Are you saying that only then name is
passed by the path is unknown?   If R code, then the outer function
can use tryCatch() to catch errors.

If all this is implemented in cross platform R code, I can have a look
at it.  What functions are involved here?

/Henrik