[R] PDF fonts problem

Mihalicza Péter mihalicza.peter at eski.hu
Fri Sep 19 10:08:15 CEST 2008

Dear Dr. Murrel,

Thank you for all the clarifications!

Paul Murrell írta:
> Hi
>

>> #CMS
>> pdf("tryfont-cms.pdf", family="CMS")
>> grid.text("gg\u151hh\uF6ii\uF3jj kk\u171ll\uFCmm\uFAnn")
>> dev.off()
>> #u151 and u171 doesn't show, though the other accented ones do
>>
>> embedFonts("tryfont-cms.pdf",
>> outfile="tryfont-cms-embed.pdf",
>> fontpaths="/cm-super/afm/")
>> #after embedding the same "slipping" occurs
>

> The 'fontpaths' argument describes where the PFB files are, not where
> the AFM files are.  So this is probably failing to embed the fonts
> because it can't find the fonts.  Does it work if you change to
> something like ...
>
>  embedFonts("tryfont-cms.pdf",
>            outfile="tryfont-cms-embed.pdf",
>            fontpaths="cm-super/pfb/")
>
> Paul

This solved my problem, so I am really very grateful! I am not too
familiar with font protocols.
Just for the sake of knowledge: if my embedFonts specification should
not have made any difference, why did the output pdf differed from the
one before embedding?

Thanks again,
Peter

believed to be clean.