[R] [R-gui] Tinn-R/Latex output

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Fri Sep 19 23:05:26 CEST 2008

Mike Prager wrote:
> "David Carslaw" <D.C.Carslaw at its.leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> I find Tinn-R to be an excellent editor for R, but I have one question I
>> have not been able to answer.
>>
>> I wish to include some R code in Latex.  Using the Edit/Copy formatted
>> (to export)/TeX does provide Latex-type output.  However, there are lots
>> of commands such as \RAIdentifier and \RAOperator etc. that would appear
>> to need either a Latex package to interpret or a list of new commands
>> that describe font attributes etc.
>>
>> My question is whether such a package exists, or is the user expected to
>> define their own commands to interpret them?
>

> David,
>
> I also find Tinn-R an excellent editor for R.
>
> When I include R code in Latex, I use the Latex "listings"
> package. It has a wide variety of settings for pretty-printing R
> code and can be customized by the user.  I think that would be
> more satisfactory in the long run than inserting Latex codes (or
> having an editor insert Latex codes) to mark R language
> elements.
>
> HTH
>
> Mike P.

The following is how I set up the listings package usage for R.  If you
have improvements to this please pass them along. -Frank

\usepackage{listings,relsize}
%Setup for listings package
\lstloadlanguages{R}
\lstset{language=R,basicstyle=\smaller[2],commentstyle=\rmfamily\smaller,
  showstringspaces=false,%
  xleftmargin=4ex,literate={<-}{{$\leftarrow$}}1 {~}{{$\sim$}}1}
\lstset{escapeinside={(*}{*)}}   % for (*\ref{ }*) inside lstlistings (S
code)