[R] Variable Selection for data reduction and discriminant anlaysis

gcam032 gcam032 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 01:00:47 CEST 2008

Thanks Mark,

I failed to mention that i'm working within a compositional framework.  I
didn't want to confuse things.  My data is transformed to the clr or alr
under Aitchison geometry, so I am essentially working in Euclidean space.

Has anyone had experience doing stepwise LDA??  I can't for the life of me
find any help online about where to start.

Thanks

Gareth

quote author="Mark Difford">
Hi Gareth,

>> If I use the full composition (31 elements or variables), I can get
>> reasonable separation of my 6 sources.

A word of advice: You need to be exceptionally careful when analyzing
compositional data. Taking compositions puts your data values into a
constrained/bounded space (generally called a simplex) so that most standard
statistical procedures (i.e. anything that uses a Euclidean metric, and most
do) deliver erroneous results. Pearson wrote a paper on this long ago, but
it's generally been ignored (except by Aitchison and the Spanish School of
mathematical statisticians).

The problem is comparatively well known to geologists, who work with
compositional much of the time. R has a very good package for analysing this
data-type: see the compositions package  (a new release seems iminent). You
will be able to get most of the main references from it. (The authors of the
package also have a newly-released article in one of the Elsevier journals
[unfor. my bib+ are elsewhere so I cannot give details]).

You could start by Wiki'ing your way to "compositional data".

HTH, Mark.