[R] Warranty on Accuracy, Precision, Legality, ... of R in Research

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Mon Sep 22 23:07:35 CEST 2008

on 09/22/2008 11:26 AM Bert Chan wrote:
> Warranty on Accuracy, Precision, Legality, ... of R in Research
>
> (These questions may well have been raised.)
>
> What is the implied warranty of using R for research & publications, consulting, etc.?
>
> Alternately, how does one obtain such a warranty?
>
> Your answers will be much appreciated.
>
> Perhaps you can point me to some websites which discussed this subject in the past.
>
> Thanks & regards -
>
> Bert
>
> (Bertram K. C. Chan, PhD)

As per the banner that appears whenever you start up R:

"R is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
Type 'license()' or 'licence()' for distribution details."

The suitability of R for any particular application is entirely up to
the user. Legally, there is nothing preventing you from using R for such
applications relative to the license under which R is made available.

You did not indicate the specific type of research you have in mind, but
if it might be in the domain of clinical trials, please review:

  http://www.r-project.org/doc/R-FDA.pdf

HTH,

Marc Schwartz