[R] WG: Problem during porting R-2.7.2 on HP-UP 11.11 PA-Risc

Peter Dalgaard P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Sep 23 15:35:50 CEST 2008

claus-juergen.neumann at basf.com wrote:

>              Claus-Juergen
>              Neumann/BASF-AG/B
>              ASF                                                        An
>                                         r-help at r-project.org
>              23.09.2008 12:49                                        Kopie
>
>                                                                      Thema
>                                         Problem during porting R-2.7.2 on
>                                         HP-UP 11.11 PA-Risc

> Dear "R"-Team,
> we had some problem to install R-2.7.2 on HP-UX 11.11 on PA-Risc platform.
>
> 1.) i load down the Software and made a extract of the tar-file in a
> specific Directory.
>
> 2.) i follow the instructions on the INSTALL file:
>      ./configure
>
> 3.) during "configure" we got a error message see below:
>      checking for history_truncate_file... no
>      configure: error: --with-readline=yes (default) and headers/libs are
> not available
>
>     and the "configure" stops.
>

> on the HP-UX server there are the HP Compiler and the GNU compiler with
> gmake and and ... installed.
> Please have a look to my logfiles. Hopefully you had a idea what we can do.
> Thanks a lot for your help

Attachments are chopped by the mailing list softare, and the r-devel
list would have been a better choice.

Anyways, the error is what it says: You are trying to use the readline
library and it or its headers isn't there (at least not where configure
looks for it). So either install them or use --with-readline=no and live
without commandline recall. This is explained  at a number of places in
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html (search for "readline").