[R] Generating series of distributions with the same skewness and different kurtosis or with same kurtosis and different skewness?

Yihui Xie xieyihui at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 17:48:47 CEST 2008

Hi,

Certainly it's possible. Use any distribution function as long as you
can change its skewness and kurtosis, e.g. the Chi-square
distribution. The corresponding R functions are p*, q*, d*, and r* - I
think you know these functions already (e.g. rchisq()).

The only thing that you should be clear about is the relationship
between the arguments of distribution functions in R and those in a
certain theoretical distribution. Refer to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability_distribution if you don't
remember those formulae for skewness and kurtosis.

Regards,
Yihui
--
Yihui Xie <xieyihui at gmail.com>
Phone: +86-(0)10-82509086 Fax: +86-(0)10-82509086