[R] damaged text output of legend() and plot()

Alexandre Aguiar asaguiar at spsconsultoria.com
Wed Sep 24 05:53:44 CEST 2008

Hi,

System: laptop, Turion 64, Kubuntu Linux, Xorg X server 1.4.0.90, KDE 3.5.9,
R 2.7.2 compiled with default settings.

I recently changed my laptop setup to get better font rendering in the LCD
monitor. Some "subpixel" stuff that limits quality of bitmaped fonts.

When generating jpegs with R the text output of legend() looks blurred. This
affects both legend() and plot() in pngs. Attached 2 samples. I used
family="sans". The same script produces normal output in my desktop where
the monitor is a CRT. Funtion text() seems normal.

Is there a workaround for that?

Alexandre

--
Alexandre Santos Aguiar, MD, SCT