[R] Antwort: Re: WG: Problem during porting R-2.7.2 on HP-UP 11.11 PA-Risc

claus-juergen.neumann at basf.com claus-juergen.neumann at basf.com
Wed Sep 24 09:26:42 CEST 2008

Dear Peter,
thank you so much for the information and quick help, this was my problem
to get the "configure" run.
please see the results:

R is now configured for hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.11

  Source directory:          .
  Installation directory:    /opt/R

  C compiler:                gcc -std=gnu99  -g -O2
  Fortran 77 compiler:       f90  -g

  C++ compiler:              g++  -g -O2
  Fortran 90/95 compiler:    f90 -g
  Obj-C compiler:

  Interfaces supported:
  External libraries:
  Additional capabilities:   PNG, JPEG, iconv, MBCS, NLS
  Options enabled:           shared BLAS, R profiling

  Recommended packages:      yes

configure: WARNING: you cannot build DVI versions of the R manuals
configure: WARNING: you cannot build PDF versions of the R manuals

But now i have a new problem during the make, we get a error from the
compiler.
Please Peter can you look / help again?

141 Lines Compiled
        f90   -g -c eigen.f -o eigen.o
eigen.f
   external subroutine BALANC
   external subroutine BALBAK
   external subroutine CBABK2
   external subroutine CBAL
   external subroutine CDIV
   external subroutine COMQR
   external subroutine COMQR2
   external subroutine CORTH
   external subroutine CSROOT
   external subroutine ELMHES
   external subroutine ELTRAN
   external function EPSLON
   external subroutine HQR
   external subroutine HQR2
   external subroutine HTRIBK
   external subroutine HTRIDI
   external function PYTHAG
   external subroutine TQL1
   external subroutine TQL2
   external subroutine TQLRAT
   external subroutine TRED1
   external subroutine TRED2
   external subroutine RG
   external subroutine RS
   external subroutine CG
   external subroutine CH

3502 Lines Compiled
Make: Don't know how to make #.  Stop.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.

Ok, this makes no sense in this moment ;-)

ZLI/sw2/R-2.7.2 > make install
mkdir /opt/R/bin/lib
mkdir /opt/R/bin/lib/R
installing doc ...
mkdir /opt/R/bin/lib/R/doc
mkdir /opt/R/share
mkdir /opt/R/share/man
mkdir /opt/R/share/man/man1
        ../tools/install-sh -c -m 644 ../NEWS "/opt/R/bin/lib/R/doc"
help2man: can't get `--version' info from ../bin/R
*** Error exit code 127

Stop.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.

Viele Grüße
Claus-Juergen Neumann
Global R&D Information Technology and Information Management

Phone: +49 621 60-27453, Mobile: +49 172 7437400, Fax: +49 621 60-27092,
E-Mail: claus-juergen.neumann at basf.com
Postal Address: BASF SE, AP/CLS - LI444, D-67117 Limburgerhof, Germany

BASF - The Chemical Company

BASF SE, Registered Office: 67056 Ludwigshafen, Germany
Companies' Register: Amtsgericht Ludwigshafen, Registration No.: HRB 6000
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Juergen Strube
Board of Executive Directors:
Juergen Hambrecht, Chairman; Eggert Voscherau, Vice Chairman;
Kurt Bock, Martin Brudermueller, John Feldmann, Andreas Kreimeyer, Stefan
Marcinowski, Harald Schwager

             Peter Dalgaard
             <P.Dalgaard at biost
             at.ku.dk>                                                  An
                                        claus-juergen.neumann at basf.com
             23.09.2008 15:35                                        Kopie
                                        r-help at r-project.org
                                                                     Thema
                                        Re: [R] WG: Problem during porting
                                        R-2.7.2 on HP-UP 11.11 PA-Risc

claus-juergen.neumann at basf.com wrote:

>              Claus-Juergen

>              Neumann/BASF-AG/B

>              ASF
An
>                                         r-help at r-project.org

>              23.09.2008 12:49
Kopie

Thema
>                                         Problem during porting R-2.7.2 on

>                                         HP-UP 11.11 PA-Risc

> Dear "R"-Team,
> we had some problem to install R-2.7.2 on HP-UX 11.11 on PA-Risc
platform.

> 1.) i load down the Software and made a extract of the tar-file in a
> specific Directory.
>
> 2.) i follow the instructions on the INSTALL file:
>      ./configure
>
> 3.) during "configure" we got a error message see below:
>      checking for history_truncate_file... no
>      configure: error: --with-readline=yes (default) and headers/libs are
> not available
>
>     and the "configure" stops.
>

> on the HP-UX server there are the HP Compiler and the GNU compiler with
> gmake and and ... installed.
> Please have a look to my logfiles. Hopefully you had a idea what we can
do.
> Thanks a lot for your help

Attachments are chopped by the mailing list softare, and the r-devel
list would have been a better choice.

Anyways, the error is what it says: You are trying to use the readline
library and it or its headers isn't there (at least not where configure
looks for it). So either install them or use --with-readline=no and live
without commandline recall. This is explained  at a number of places in
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html (search for "readline").