[R] Exclusion of elements in a vector

Chuck Cleland ccleland at optonline.net
Thu Sep 25 15:15:42 CEST 2008

On 9/25/2008 7:43 AM, Stefan Fritsch wrote:
> Dear R Users,
>
> I want to exclude elements in a vector by:
>
> vector[-exclude]
>
> is it intended to cause an error if no elements are excluded?
>
>> vector <- 1:10
>> exclude <- NULL
>> vector[-exclude]
> Error in -exclude
>
> or am I just definig exclude wrong, if no elements should be excluded?

  One approach would be to set "exclude" to a number greater than the
length of the vector:

x <- 1:10

exclude <- length(x) + 1

x[-exclude]
 [1]  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10

library(fortunes)

fortune("dog")

Firstly, don't call your matrix 'matrix'. Would you call your dog 'dog'?
Anyway, it might clash with the function 'matrix'.
   -- Barry Rowlingson
      R-help (October 2004)