[R] Bug in "is" ?

Wacek Kusnierczyk Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk at idi.ntnu.no
Fri Sep 26 18:17:16 CEST 2008

Michael A. Miller wrote:

>     > but it does seem to be a wrong decision for a language
>     > focused mostly with statistical computations and not
>     > computer science concerned with how to represent an
>     > integer.
>
> The key word here is "computations."  And after reading this
> briefly interesting and then increasingly depressing thread, I
> can't help but note that it does seem wrong that people who don't
> understand the nature and limits of computation get worked up
> about design choices made by people who do understand it.  It is
> as if someone went to a discussion of composing music and
> complained that the composers aught not be using notes.  This
> sort of inexpert commentary is typical in all fields and is an
> inevitable result in open discussions.  If this is intentional
> trolling, we just need to avoid fanning the flames - they'll go
> away eventually.

he he he.

as a person who apparently does not understand anything about the nature
and limits of computation, certainly not the only one among those using
r, i dare ask why the decision that is.integer(7) *must* evaluate to
FALSE is so magnificently correct and obvious in a language that does
seem to ask the users to think and program in a way that abstracts from
low level language implementation-dependent issues.

vQ

ps. apologies for what some, sadly, consider trolling.