[R] Regression and data types

Daniel Malter daniel at umd.edu
Fri Sep 26 18:55:20 CEST 2008

check

is(X1)
is(X2)

to investigate whether the types of the variables are equal. Probably (most
probably), X2 is a factor (treated as dummy variables) so that your 60
values from the second regression are the intercept (i.e. the coefficient
for the first observation) plus 59 dummies for the offset difference between
each of the 59 observations and the first observation.

run:

summary(lm(Y~X1))

summary(lm(Y~X2))

and you will see from the regression output that the second regression is
estimated with dummies for X2 rather than treating X2 as a numeric variable.
Transform X2 to numeric by:

X3=as.numeric(X2)

and check whether the values are otherwise equal to X2.

cbind(X2,X3)

If that's the case, rerun your analysis

summary(lm(Y~X3))

and you will only get one intercept and a slope coefficient.

Cheers,
Daniel

cuncta stricte discussurus