[R] 10-minute presentation of R as a machine learning platform

Alexy Khrabrov deliverable at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 21:09:26 CEST 2008

Greetings -- I'd like to present R to our university research group as
a viable platform to do machine learning applications for human
behavior modeling.  The actual research will be further specialized,
but general activities -- acquiring/interfacing with the data,
specifying/learning a model, detecting "mean" behaviors vs "outliers",
and of course visualizing it all, are perfectly done using R base and
add-on packages.  I'm thinking of sticking some timeseries data into a
MySQL database ("real world"), extracting it into an R session, and
showing things emphasizing R strengths.  Do folks have some similar
sessions saved, and what would you recommend to do in just the 10
minutes I'll have?  Especially an example of bedazzling graphics which
can be produced from models of data, 3d, colorful, and rotatable with
rgl! :)

Cheers,
Alexy