[R] Dealing With Extremely Large Files

zerfetzen zerfetzen at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 26 21:55:32 CEST 2008

Hi,
I'm sure that a large fixed width file, such as 300 million rows and 1,000
columns, is too large for R to handle on a PC, but are there ways to deal
with it?

For example, is there a way to combine some sampling method with read.fwf so
that you can read in a sample of 100,000 records, for example?

Something like this may make analysis possible.

Once analyzed, is there a way to, say, read in only x rows at a time, save
and score each subset separately, and finally append them back together?

I haven't seen any information on this, if it is possible.  Thank you for
reading, and sorry if the information was easily available and I simply
didn't find it.