[R] Dealing With Extremely Large Files

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 01:36:52 CEST 2008

You can always setup a "connection" and then read in the number of
lines you need for the analysis, write out the results and then read
in the next ones.  I have also used 'filehash' to initially read in
portions of a file and then write the objects into the database.
These are quickly retrieved if I want to make subsequent passes
through the data.

A 100,000 rows will also probably tax your machine since if these are
numeric, you will need 800MB to store a since copy of the object and
you will probably need 3-4X that amount (a total of 4GB of physical
memory) if you are doing any processing that might make copies.
Hopefully you are running on a 64-bit system with lots of memory.