[R] Problem with R on dual core under Linux - can not execute mpi.spawn.Rslaves()

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 14:39:52 CEST 2008

Hi

I am trying to utilize my dual core processor (and later a
High-performance clusters (HPC) ) by using the Rmpi, snow, snowfall,
... packages, but I am struggling at the beginning, i.e. to initialise
the "cluster" on my dual core computer. Whenever I try to initialize
it (via sfInit(parallel=TRUE, cpus=2) or mpi.spawn.Rslaves(nslaves=2)
), I get an error message:

> sfInit(parallel=TRUE, cpus=2)
Forced parallel. Using session: XXXXXXXXR_rkrug_143706_092708

Error in mpi.comm.spawn(slave = mpitask, slavearg = args, nslaves = count,  :
  MPI_Comm_spawn is not supported.
Error in sfInit(parallel = TRUE, cpus = 2) :
  Starting of snow cluster failed! Error in mpi.comm.spawn(slave =
mpitask, slavearg = args, nslaves = count,  :
  MPI_Comm_spawn is not supported.

and

> mpi.spawn.Rslaves(nslaves=2)
Error in mpi.spawn.Rslaves(nslaves = 2) :
  You cannot use MPI_Comm_spawn API

I followed the pdf "Developing parallel programs using snowfall" by
Jochen Knaus,. installed the relevant libraries and programs, but it
does not work.

I am stuck.

Any help appreciated,

Rainer