[R] ariable Importance Measure in Package RandomForest

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Mon Sep 29 17:02:41 CEST 2008

The randomForest package is based on Breiman & Cutler's original code,
which grows trees using the CART algorithm.  The Gini criterion for
splitting nodes is hard-coded in the Fortran.  If you want info gain as
measure of variable importance, you should be growing trees using that
as the splitting criterion.  It may (or may not) be possible with the
party package, as that's a more modular design.  That's something you
can look into.

Best,
Andy

From:  Uwe Ligges