[R] density estimate

Eik Vettorazzi E.Vettorazzi at uke.uni-hamburg.de
Mon Sep 29 17:10:46 CEST 2008

The calculation of the Kullback Leibler measure depends on the scale of
your probability function. If it is discrete, the formula with "sum"
term applies. In the continuous case "sum" is replaced by "intgrate".
you may have a look at
http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/library/flexmix/html/KLdiv.html which
covers both cases.
For continuous random variables you can typically get only probability
statements for intervals - by integrating the density function over the
range of the given interval. If your sample space is uncountable (say
for instance the set of all real numbers), then it can be shown that
every elementary event has to have a probability of zero.

hth.