[R] problem loading WordNet into R

Bob Green bgreen at dyson.brisnet.org.au
Tue Sep 30 22:25:42 CEST 2008

Hello Martin,

Many thanks for your reply. I tried the command you suggested, which
generated version (A) below.

In response - I inserted back "-" and "dict" (which I had previously
tried and removed, in one of the multitude of variations I have
tried)  and added \\. This still produced the error , so I also added
the "" which generated version (B).

Removing the "", resulted in version (C).

All result in errors - does this provide any clues as to what is
required? I have not tried editing the environment to read \\\\

(A) - before adding \\ & ""

 > Sys.getenv("WNHOME")
                                            WNHOME
"c:\\Program Files\\R\\WordNet-3.0\\dict"

(B) after adding \\ & "".

 > library (wordnet)
Warning message:
In initDict() :
   cannot find WordNet 'dict' directory: please set the environment
variable WNHOME to its parent

  Sys.getenv("WNHOME")
                                                WNHOME
"\"c:\\\\Program Files\\\\R\\\\WordNet-3.0\\\\dict\""

(C) removing the " "

 > Sys.getenv("WNHOME")
                                            WNHOME
"c:\\\\Program Files\\\\R\\\\WordNet-3.0\\\\dict"

regards

bob