[R] Logistic regression problem

Jason Jones Medical Informatics Jason.Jones3 at imail.org
Tue Sep 30 23:24:48 CEST 2008

So...I wouldn't suggest the trying all possible logistic models approach either and I'm not sure exactly what your goals are in modeling.

However, I've been fiddling around with the variable importance (varimp) functions that come with the randomForest and party packages.  The idea is to get an idea of which independent variables are likely to be useful and then to focus on those variables (identified as being of high importance) with more attention than you could spend on the whole set.

A general advantage of the recursive partitioning approach is that it deals fairly nicely with interactions and collinearity.

Theoretically, the recursive partitioning approaches should be able to deal with missing values (often a problem with large datasets), but I have been unable to apply this with the variable importance functions.

Let me know if you require more details.  You can check out http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/9/307 for a couple examples of variable importance.

Jason Jones, PhD
Medical Informatics
j.jones at imail.org